Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

CrossFit Holiday WOD
Partner Chief
4 rounds
400 m run
AMRAP while partner runs
3 p. clean 63#
6 push ups
9 squats

Time: 19:12, 9 rounds for me

I knew I'd be running the last 400 meters by myself since none of my other slow running friends showed up. As I went out for the last run, I knew I was the only one left, so this is what was going through my mind: arrrgghhh! Sam is going to send someone out to run with me. I know it! I have avoided this for 5 months. I have carefully crafted my wods to avoid this very situation. How can this be happening now?!? Who is going to get the job of running me back to the box?

Then I see Cliff, unmistakable in those great socks, so now I can't stop and walk. I have to keep going. I know he is going to push me to the end.

Back to the thoughts in my head: Just. finish. Just. keep. going. Just remember that I willing show up for this stuff. And then, hey this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'm dying, but Cliff isn't, so I don't have to feel bad for him. What a great guy Cliff is!

It was good to know that even though I couldn't talk, I could still kind of laugh, thanks to that show of support that Golden offered with those 3 steps. It meant a lot to me, really it did.

**Whine Alert**
Read at your own risk
I am having a hard time not being 100% frustrated with my slow running. Again this morning I was so, so frustrated. So I have my two whiny explanations to push me through: 1) I had to run almost 1.5 miles this morning and I completed it. When I started CF 5 months ago, a 200 m. run was a struggle to complete without walking. So I must be making progress, really I must. 2) It is very possible that it was a dumb thing to be eating 2-3 blocks of carbs a day this week. The whole wod wiped me out way more than it should have, so I am thinking that cutting my carbs so low and doing CF three days in a row might have been a mistake.

2 comments:

  1. Wait a minute! Who told you to cut back your carbs that low? I know I didn't...

    Leah, don't get too frustrated, just understand that it is part of the process. We all have those things that we are working towards or through. It just takes time. Stick with it, cause you are doing awesome.

    One thing that helps me is setting goals, small and easily attainable goals. If running is what you would really like to get better at, you are gonna need to make a plan, and stick to it. Every time you reach one of those goals, you might feel a sense of accomplishment. Then set a new goal and strive for that. This strategy helps keeps me motivated, it might be worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I made that dumb decision all on my own...I just want to get better at running so I don't have to hobble through the running wods. I don't really like running itself. :)

    I will make it a goal to try to set some goals.

    ReplyDelete