Monday, January 3, 2011

The Paleo New Year:beef jerky

My wonderful family gives me lots of support as I keep working on this job of becoming fit and healthy, even when they give me Christmas presents!

One sister made me a big batch of these delicious paleo energy bars. They are fabulous! Not too sweet, plenty of good fat to keep you satiated, and very delicious. I'll be making some of my own in the weeks to come to help tide me over on the days when I am out all day and find it tough to fit in a regular meal.

My parents gave me a great meat cookbook, full of info on making your own bacon, sausage and jerky. So I am now on a quest to make the best paleo jerky I can-no sugar, soy or other questionable or undesirable contents. Last night I dried 9 trays of it, half with Italian seasoning, and half with a pepper garlic seasoning.

Initial observations are that homemade jerky tastes a lot more like actual beef. Have you ever noticed that many brands store bought jerky have plenty of seasoning, but then you realize that there really isn't much of the actual beef flavor? This homemade jerky tastes real. I also notice that without the sugar that is found in just about every type of commercial jerky, it seems to dry out a bit faster than I expected. It doesn't taste bad, but it is different.

WOD, Jan 2, 2011

Open Gym
Stefani picked the wod, but she takes no responsibility for the general "wonderfulness" of the wod since it came from Joc's class. Doing this one with Stefani, Melissa and Lindsay made it possible to actually finish the 20 minutes. I was ready to stop after 5 minutes...It also really helped to have Danny pushing us. That was a lot of push presses!!

AMRAP in 20 minutes
10 push press 63#
10 KBS 35#
10 Box Jumps 16"
Rounds-10

No comments:

Post a Comment