Sunday, June 19, 2011

Deep Thoughts on Box Jumps

Open Gym

My right shoulder was really, really tight and sore this morning. Deadhang pull ups seem to do that to me every single time...But when I am talking sore, I mean sore, sore. I did ice it, roll it, stretch and lax ball it, but nothing was seeming to help much.

It really hurt, but that didn't matter too much since I was already planning on squatting. The pain just meant that I had a really great excuse for not doing any of the wods that all the other gals were talking about. All was perfect until Morgan decided to do Christine. That was one I could have done. But does someone like me ever willingly choose to do Christine? Nope. So I had to admit that I really didn't want to do any girl or storm. I just wanted to squat. :)

Back Squat
185x5
215x3
225x1
235x1
255x1
275x1

Yes! That felt fabulous and fast.

Good Mornings
7x3 at 98#

No doubt about it, these are getting easier and easier. The first week I did these, my lower back, hips and hamstrings felt like they had just been used for the first time ever, but those muscles are adapting quickly.

Weighted Box Jumps 5x2
16 in box
30# DB

It was really hard to get that first jump with the 30#...If you don't know this yet, I have never really loved box jumps. It is one of those things where I think things like this-
I should be able to jump.
Everyone can jump, right?!?
Why am I so bad at jumping?!?
Why is it so scary to jump up to a box?
Will I ever get better at these or am I destined to be the box-jump impaired member forever?

And in fact I KNOW things like this-
I can jump, even if it's not very high.
I have gotten better. I used to step up onto plates. Then I stepped up onto the 12" box, then I jumped on the box and stepped down, then I stepped onto the 16" box, and so on and so on.
I can jump on the 20" box in a wod, even if I don't like to.
And now I can jump on the 16' box with 30# in each hand too.

And then I thought-
Jumping with 60 extra pounds in my hands puts me close to what I weighed when I started CF and box jumps, back when I was stepping up onto a 45# plate, not jumping at all. So I am considering this an awful lot of progress.

1 comment:

  1. Leah, I just love this post. I'm so glad you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete