Saturday, July 24, 2010

Immediate Goal Setting

2 Position Snatch
1 power snatch + 1 hang snatch

I just did a bunch with 53 and then a bunch with 63. I was highly organized in my approach to this one! :)

WOD
5 rounds
30 lateral jumps
10 cross chops rt. 25#
10 cross chops lt.
7 ring dips (BB)
Time: 7:43

Since I went to the Amundsen goal-setting seminar, I figured I would set an immediate goal for this wod-

1. get the first round of jumps unbroken-done

This was the first time that I have done ring dips in a wod, so I started with the blue band. Next time I will use the green band. I will also have to think about whether I should use a heavier KB for the cross chops, but I'll worry about that one later.


One of my 7 day goals is to refocus on my diet, with proper attention to my protein and carb (specifically vegetable) intake. I find that I can fall into a pattern of eating protein at each meal, but not eating nearly as many veggies as I did back when I carefully paleo-zoned. I am not worried that I am eating too few carbs since I allowed myself fruit for the summer, but I know that I have been missing out on all the goodness that comes with a variety and great volume of vegetables. I have also fallen into the habit of sometimes just eating 2 meals in a day, and then I just get hungry too soon and eat lots and lots of fruit (or sometimes...even chocolate.)

So I took a bit of time this afternoon to shop and then prep somethings ahead.


Roasted Broccoli with Caramelized Onions
The onions elevate roasted broccoli (already pretty fantastic) to a whole new level of vegetable goodness.

1 bag of broccoli florets (from TJs)
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper
olive oil
butter

Oil a baking sheet lightly. Dump the broccoli on the pan and sprinkle with a bit more olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast this in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt a pat of butter in a skillet, preferably cast iron. If you don't have a cast iron pan, this is a very, very good reason to get one. When the butter is hot, but before it starts to burn, add the onions. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and add some more butter if it needs it. Turn down the heat to med-low and cook the onions until brown and soft, about 20 minutes, stirring as needed to keep them from burning. If they seem to be burning, not slowly browning, you can turn down the heat and/or add a few tablespoons of water.

Many recipes for caramelized onions will call for some type of sugar, but you do not need any at all. As long as you cook them slowly and long enough to really brown, the onions will be sweet on their own.

When both the broccoli and onions are done, toss together and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm with you on the diet thing. It's easy to slip up for little stints here and there when you don't see any immediate damage. But then it creeps up on you all at once and you are totally bummed. Way to get back on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow onions? Sweet onions? White onions? Which do you prefer?

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    I just use yellow onions because they are always on hand and I think they turn out well.

    ReplyDelete