Monday, April 5, 2010

Dear Shoulders, you have to learn to work hard. Adjust.

Skill
Press 5x5
85x4
83x5
83x5
83x4
83x5

I was the good old idiot trainee again tonight. I can't even tell you what is wrong with me, but man alive! Kyle told me to use 83# for my sets. I already had men's bar out, so I decided to just do 85#. I could only get it up 4 times and it was hard. So I had to move down to the women's bar. So I grabbed a bar with a thin collar, loaded it up with 50# and got it up once and could.not.move.it.up.again. I was immensely frustrated. After walking about for a few minutes, I started to wonder if I actually had a men's bar. Sure enough, I did. Doh! So then I got a real women's bar and was finally able to finish my sets.

WOD
21-15-9
Deadlifts 153# (Rx'd, I think)
Pull Ups (Blue Band, with a little help from my toe on some of them...)
30-20-10
OH Walking Lunges 15# for the first round, 25# for the rest
Time: 10:58

The first 3-4 DL were awful. Suddenly my back realized that I was making it DL 153# in a WOD yet again, just 3 days after the last one. It argued briefly, but I won.

I was finishing my first set of lunges when I could see someone walking behind me, with a plate. I was disappointed but not surprised to find out it was Kyle, taking away my dear beloved 15# plate and replacing it with the 25 pounder. But hey, this is good. I think my shoulders are just reaching a point of non-protest, since there seems to be no hope for rest. This is a similar adjustment that my legs had to go through. They are only sore occasionally now.

Things that are harder to do when you have constantly sore shoulders:
-turning the jump rope for students the whole recess (that's what I get for working so hard to have them like to jump rope)

-writing large amounts on the whiteboard (older students will just have to learn to listen to my words)

-shaving multiple heads of fennel or cabbage on the mandoline

-whisking up a super large batch of homemade salad dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment