Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just Walk Up to the Bar and Lift

Tonight was perfect.

I was tired after too little sleep last night and a day spent moving stuff out of a flooded classroom. I didn't want to drive across the county again in the pouring rain. I went back and forth on going to class all afternoon...

But I went, mainly because I wanted to get the back squat 1RM for the paleo challenge out of the way. I did what I was aiming for. I broke 200!

Back Squat 1 RM 218# (PR)

I could barely get the 203 up, and I contemplated stopping there. Kyle told me that my problem was taking too long to pressurize before the lift. I can think of times when every single coach has told me to just complete the lift, to stop taking a dozen breaths, to stop just sitting there with my hands on the bar, to stop taking so many steps before I lift...blah, blah, blah...And every time I actually hit a PR, it has been when I stopped wasting time and just lifted-the deadlift, the strict press, the clean, the back squat, the overhead squat.

No comments:

Post a Comment