Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Eggs, Properly Scrambled

Eating eggs everyday or almost everyday has the potential to be boring, but it does not have to be. There are umpteen ways to cook an egg, but my fall-back method is the scramble. If you do it right, it is really hard to get sick of a properly cooked egg.

I'll tell you right off the bat to save your money and skip this contraption. No one needs an ez cracker or an ez scrambler, but the infomercial is highly entertaining.

There is some disagreement on the idea of a proper scrambled egg, but I am whole-heartedly in the camp of creamy, soft, fluffy scrambled eggs. Overcooking your eggs to the point of dry, little pellets is heartbreaking and should be avoided at all costs. Even cooking your eggs closer to dry rather than creamy is a culinary travesty that I would love to see ended.

So here's what you need to know-

Crack your eggs into a bowl and lightly whisk. Add a bit of salt, pepper, and a pour of coconut milk (in my pre-paleo days I used cream.)

Put your skillet on the stove with med-low heat. It is very important to keep the heat low. High heat=killing your scrambled eggs. Add your fat of choice: olive oil, coconut oil, or bacon fat. Pour the whisked eggs into the pan, but reserve just a tablespoon or so of the egg. Keep this little bit in the bowl for the very end of the cooking. Stir the eggs very gently over the low heat until they are just set. Keep the eggs moving slowly during the cooking and remove them from the heat as soon as they are set, while still looking a bit wet. The eggs will continue to cook even after you take them off the stove, so you want them looking just very barely done. Now add that reserved bit of egg and mix gently.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotta tell ya, I don't think my scrambled eggs have *ever* looked like that.


    Dinner party (or breakfast?) at Leah's house?

    Haha.

    Much love, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use water, where you use coconut milk & I think it still tastes good & fluffy. But, I cook my eggs in butter. So, that is probably a paleo no-no.
    p.s. Leah's eggs taste as good as they look.

    ReplyDelete